Thursday, March 24, 2011

Powder Day at Jackson Hole

Tuesday, March 22, 2011 was a good day at Jackson Hole Mountain Resort. Recently the weather has been disappointingly warm and spring-like (ehem, multiple degree above freezing!); I was just about consigning myself to the fact that winter was over and spring had begun. Maybe there'd be some sunshine and fun, easy runs down the mountain, but no more epic powder days for this season.

And then, two days after the official first day of spring, it snowed. And it did not stop dumping snow all day.

Our Tahoe buddies got a little snow as well, but I can't complain about the conditions at Jackson Hole. The reports were a mere 22" at JH, but it was definitely deeper in some spots by the end of the day. (Did I also mention it was insanely light snow?)


Photos

Without further ado, here's a photo that - without much exaggeration - kind of looks like a professional skier in some ski video...except instead, it's actually me, which is weird:





For those you who ski, you'll appreciate how heavily it was snowing that the below photos were taken at 3:40 pm (i.e. not first tracks - this is the way end of the day), in-bounds on the resort (i.e. no major hiking to an out of the way location no one knows about), and were tracks accessible off a high-speed quad. Insane.
































Carrie's note: there were 17" on the 17th ... 22" on the 22nd ... I'd personally vote for 31" on the 31st. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, yeah, well I'm just back from two awesome days of spring skiing in Killington, VT. It was maybe ten degrees yesterday morning, and there had to be at least 1/27" of powder covering the bulletproof terrain (mostly groomed). And I heard they got even more back on the 22nd, a full 1/22". The mountain wasn't very crowded so I'm sure people were finding sweet, sweet stashes late into the day at 3:40, while I was already on my way back home to NYC.

    Ben, those photos are incredible. And the day itself must have been beyond incredible. Glad you got to hit some truly epic pow--and the season's not over yet!

    -Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really picked the wrong time to leave!

    ReplyDelete